Home
Cover story
Interview
SNU inside
닫기
Interview

Overcome Barriers for People with Disabilities

through Attractiveness, Not Weaknesses

Haley Cha, CEO at PARASTAR Entertainment  (Department of Physical Education)

A fashion model named Youngchae Seo, who participated in the “F/W Seoul Fashion Week” held in 2021, was able to walk on stage eight years after her public debut. Despite her qualification, which allowed her to rank tenth on a model survival show, because her hearing impairment prevented her from finding a proper modeling agency, she had been living as a housewife for a long time. Her meeting with PARASTAR Entertainment, an entertainment agency specializing in people with disabilities, enabled her to dream again. PARASTAR Entertainment is a management company established in 2020 that discovers and nurtures artists with disabilities who are active in the fields of culture, arts, and broadcasting, and it has approximately 30 versatile artists. We met Haley Cha, CEO of PARASTAR Entertainment, who converts disabilities into strengths and charms. 

Entertainment Agency Supporting Artists with Disabilities 

CEO Haley Cha, who had worked as an announcer before establishing the company, was able to encounter the difficulties of athletes with disabilities while hosting sports events. Although these athletes receive offers to appear on TV shows or in advertisements during the Paralympic Games, they frequently miss the opportunities because they cannot handle related processes, such as negotiating appearance fees, drafting contracts, and assisting with disabilities. CEO Haley Cha, seeing first-hand the passion of the athletes, established PARASTAR Entertainment jointly with Para Ice Hockey coach Minsu Han to resolve these problems. “The word “para” was taken from “Paralympic” and the English word “paragon,” which refers to “a perfect example.” I, as someone familiar with broadcasting, was in charge of media and PR, and coach Minsu Han recruited Paralympians, who needed an agency. As actors, models, and dancers, who were thirsty for the stage, became interested in the emergence of an agency, we developed into an entertainment agency, mainly holding artists with disabilities active in the popular culture field. Since Minsu Han was appointed as the national team coach in 2021, I am currently running this company alone.”

CEO Cha has experienced many difficulties because this is an unexplored road. More importantly, the broadcasting world, full of variables, was reluctant to feature artists with disabilities due to the lack of precedent, which prevented them from entering this market. Thus, PARASTAR Entertainment is creating precedents by directly producing content. Based on its unrivaled expertise regarding the needs of artists, this agency has been proposing advertisements by internally handling their planning and filming and expanding contact with the public through social media. In August of last year, this agency held “2022 Mixball Day,” where people with and without disabilities mingled, which was the first ESG sports festival held at a private level. 

“There are many social and political issues surrounding disabilities, and people think that running a business for people with disabilities would contribute to society. However, like other entertainment companies, we showcase and sell the talents of our artists to the public. Because this is not a charity business, we need to make a profit to sustain our company. I believe without overcomplication that the perception and culture of disability will change by showcasing good examples, expanding  opportunities, and meeting the public.”

A basketball player Gwanhee Lee at Changwon LG Sakers, and announcer Yoonju Roh participated in the Mixball Festival, enjoying wheelchair basketball. 

Frustration and Overcoming Experience that Led to Me where I am Today 

CEO Haley Cha, who has enjoyed sports since her childhood, chose physical education as her majors even after attending a foreign language high school. This is because she could study a variety of fields, from sports science to medicine, law, psychology, and sociology. She had accumulated various experiences to determine her career path during my college years, finding it most entertaining to meet and converse with someone. She previously aspired to work as a reporter at an international broadcasting station using her specialty, English, and she became attracted to broadcasting.

“As the saying goes, “a healthy mind in a healthy body,” I relished my college days when I could study and exercise. In the daytime, I learned exercise practice and pedagogical theory, and after class, I joined training for the tennis team. Most importantly, the Department of Physical Education was the arena where I was able to deepen my interest in studies while simultaneously learning several fields. I had also prepared for the public officer qualification exam and the law school entrance exam, and I strived to find my passion in career while working as a college student reporter, resulting in the selection of an announcer.”

While she was busy doing what she wanted most, an unexpected crisis arose. Her normal voice no longer sounded the same. This symptom that occurred before the camera started to affect her daily life, and finally, her voice stopped sounding. In the end, she quit her job at the company where she had been working for three years, accompanied by a one-year treatment. During the period when her symptoms were the severest, she conversed with her family in writing. As there was no progress over time, anxiety overwhelmed her that she might not be able to speak any more.

“I also heard that any issue with the brain could deteriorate the symptoms. My frustration mounted with the thought that I would not be able to work in broadcasting, which I favor, or talk to anyone. Fortunately, because there was no problem with my brain, I started psychotherapy, which has gradually improved the symptoms since then. Although the symptoms reoccurred when I returned to broadcasting after a year and faced the camera, I was able to overcome them with the assistance of the producer, who was in charge of production.”

Youngchae Seo, a fashion model with hearing impairment. After signing a contract with PARASTAR Entertainment, she has been active on various fashion stages.

To Realize Business and Social Values, Rather than Complimentary Services

The crisis at that time became a crucial turning point in her life. This is because this event, which had gone without any respite, reminded her of the value of rest, and it served as an opportunity to become stronger. It enabled her to somewhat understand the despair and suffering of those facing disabilities. CEO Cha perceives better than anyone else the mentality and inner beauty of artists who have overcome obstacles and risen again to challenge themselves in new fields.

“There is an artist named Sung Hwang who has recently joined us. Although he was a trainee for a large entertainment company, he acquired a spinal cord injury due to an unexpected accident. He would need to stay in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, which did not discourage him from his dedication to what he loves. While he undergoes training as a table tennis player, he is also learning wheelchair dancing to continue his favorite dances. Our artists’ strengths are their stronger mentality than anyone else’s as well as their stories. Disabilities become advantages, and charms can be promoted beyond a pretty and handsome public appearance.”

PARASTAR Entertainment is currently preparing for a content production business in addition to its entertainment agency business. As the OTT market expands, it is planning to market itself globally through variety shows mainly featuring artists with disabilities. As 15% of the global population is disabled, she aspires to create a world where the public can view people with disabilities by spending 15% of their media time. She wanted to show that businesses implementing social values can also succeed through this.

“In the early days of our establishment, COVID-19 diminished the public’s interest in the Paralympic Games, which prevented us from acquiring any advertising or sponsorship. The circumstances were initially unfavorable for our business, which eventually enabled us to find a field where we could be active as the online content market expanded. More crises will continue to emerge. However, like our artists, who have risen again after their great difficulties, I will overcome any obstacles and move forward to achieve my aspirations.”