Cover story
Interview
SNU inside
닫기
Interview

An Interconnected Society

with No One Left Behind

Golbaengi Eoullim School

Se-jin Koh, Department of Political Science and International Relations, Class of 2019

Yoon-jeong Choi, Food Science & Biotechnology Major, Class of 2019

Jae-hyeon Park, Department of Political Science and International Relations, Class of 2020

Established in 2006, the Golbaengi Eoullim School is a volunteer group that connects children with developmental disorders to the world, just as the "@" sign (called golbaengi in Korean) connects people with the world via email. The members initially began this group to help others but now say they have been gifted with an irreplaceable value. We met with the members of the Golbaengi Eoullim School who are working on creating a society where we can all live together.  

Fostering Growth through Interactions

The Golbaengi Eoullim School started from the awareness that caring for children with developmental disorders is not just a family problem but a social responsibility. Every Saturday, one child with a developmental disorder forms a group with two "buddy teachers" and participates in the weekend school program. Developmental disorders impair a child's linguistic, cognitive, physical, and social growth compared to their peers, and it is crucial to enhance the child's development by providing positive stimuli. The Golbaengi Eoullim School helps children with disabilities improve their social skills and creativity by providing opportunities to communicate with more people.

"We run five programs on art, music, physical education, cooking, and outdoor activities. This year, it became difficult for us to stay indoors due to COVID-19, so we have focused on outdoor activities, such as weekly visits to museums and parks. I hope that we can soon resume our indoor activities, including crafts and cooking, which would allow us to interact with the children more closely." (Jae-hyeon Park)

Considering the importance of emotional interaction, new group members receive training on the behavior and characteristics of children with developmental disorders. The meetings, which first felt challenging, transformed into opportunities to understand each other. As members exchanged feelings with the children by overcoming the language barrier, the children also began to open up. The members also had the chance to think and learn about what the local community should be providing for children with disabilities. 

"I unknowingly thought that I should treat the children differently. But when I began to play with them, I realized that they were fellow members of society. These days, it is difficult to find places for activities due to COVID-19, which often makes me think that there is not enough space for the children. I seem to encounter more problems that the community should think of and solve together as I participate in group activities." (Se-jin Koh)

Moments as Warm as Sunshine

Although they met the children for different reasons, the members share the same goal: to give back to society. The members began volunteering to help others, but they realized that they were learning more from the children while participating in the program. The hopelessness and uncertainty they faced after entering college changed into self-esteem whenever they met the children. 

"I questioned a lot about personal relationships since COVID-19 made my college life significantly different from what I had imagined. My relationships seemed to be limited to people I frequently meet and the seniors and juniors at my department. But I learned that you can feel a sense of belonging and form relationships anywhere if you could simply spend time and do things together." (Se-jin Koh)

"I feel content when the children enjoy the programs that we prepared. It doesn't feel like working and volunteering because I am energized. Even when I'm exhausted after exams, I feel stronger and more alive when I meet the children." (Yoon-jeong Choi)

The three members agree that the interactions they experience through the Golbaengi Eoullim School are like "sunshine." Just as you feel refreshed when you go outdoors and bask in the sun, the time the members spend with the children has become a breath of fresh air in their everyday lives. Kindness to others has become a life-supporting value. 

"Please visit the Golbaengi Eoullim School if you feel unhappy. You will not only be helping others, but you will be able to meet kind people and discover your true self and roles."