Cover story
Interview
SNU inside
닫기
Cover
Story

Mathematics, immersion

in borderless freedom

Professor June Huh (Class of 2009, Seoul National University, Master’s in Mathematical Sciences)

Nayoung Kim (Class of 2014, Seoul National University, PhD in Mathematical Sciences)

In August, the first mathematician of Korean descent won the prestigious Fields Medal, which is regarded as the Nobel Prize for mathematics. Professor June Huh, a distinguished professor at the Korea Institute for Advanced Study and a professor at Princeton University, won the Fields Medal for solving various major problems in combinatorics using algebraic geometry and contributing to broadening the horizons of algebraic geometry. After he won the award, the media shared stories of Mr. Huh, including how he dropped out of high school to pursue his dream as a poet and how he was accepted at Seoul National University to study Physics & Astronomy by passing the qualification examination. However, the biggest turning point in his life was meeting his wife,  Nayoung Kim. We had a discussion on the beauty of mathematics with the two people who established a family on the common ground of mathematics.  

Chemistry between mathematicians completing different puzzle pieces

Professor June Huh: The biggest attraction of mathematics is that you can study it whenever and wherever you want without limitations. You only need a pencil and a paper, and even without those, you can think while you are exercising or taking a walk. It is an area of study with strong humanistic characteristics that at the same time requires collaboration. The culture of mathematics emphasizing solidarity and cooperation is very attractive to me.

Nayoung Kim: I also remember the time I spent solving math problems with my classmates during graduate school the most. Because we spent entire days together and we were a group of people with similar dispositions and goals, I felt really comfortable and happy during routine activities. Since how we solved difficult questions was more important than discovering something before others or refuting existing studies, I was able to enjoy the time without feeling a sense of competition.  

Professor June Huh: To solve a problem, mathematicians, each with a different piece of a puzzle, need to continuously cross-check everyone’s puzzles simultaneously without knowing the complete picture. Sometimes, you need to find a new piece of the puzzle if there is no matching piece. Since the target is not determined and you need to solve challenging problems step by step, the “chemistry” between mathematicians is very important. Also, the theories and propositions of mathematics created through such a procedure do not disappear even if a new theory emerges, unlike in other areas of study. The area of combinatorics that I study explores the most primitive forms, such as bacteria in biology. It deals with the finite relations among finite sets, such as permutations, combinations, and set partitioning. Compared to other areas, it is a relatively new area of study. 

Nayoung Kim: Compared to combinatorics, the number theory that I specialize in is an area of study with a long tradition of research. The integer system, which is the foundation of the number theory, is the central area and the starting point of mathematical perception that humans study. Since it has such a long history, it is required to fully understand the existing theories that have unfolded, and it sometimes takes more than ten years to create a new result. Because of this, there is a saying that creating a new result in the number theory is akin to “adding another layer of bricks on the structure that humankind has been building over thousands of years.” If you look at the result, even a child can understand it, but the process is very complicated and deep. 

Breaks in immersion that bring about unexpected results

Nayoung Kim: Sometimes, Professor June Huh excitedly tells me, “I think I solved something!” This is the kind of reaction you have when you match a difficult piece of the puzzle that we discussed earlier. Then afterward, he calms himself and spends time focusing on the question. Because in math, even if you are wrong about one thing, the result cannot be established, and therefore, you need to build on it systematically without any mistakes. I feel sorry for him, since I also understand how painful the process can be.

Professor June Huh: You are open to all the possibilities in the question, and you think and think again. Then the thought develops into intuition. In fact, intuition cannot explain if you understand it, and even if you understand, you cannot explain what it is well. It’s a concept you can’t define. However, mathematics is the area of study that shows the process most frankly. For example, in the case of science, you can secure new data as the technology develops. However, mathematics has the same amount of data now as it did 300 years ago. A problem that has not been solved for a long time suddenly gets resolved today, and you realize the principle, but this is not from new information or a changed environment but from a result that I created yesterday and a coincidental change that took place.

In 2008, Seoul National University recruited Heisuke Hironaka, an honorary professor at Harvard University, as part of the “Nobel Prize Project,” and June Huh’s meeting with him led him to study mathematics. 

Nayoung Kim: I think Professor June Huh was able to make great achievements thanks to that freedom of being open to all possibilities. He was used to playing and thinking freely since he was young, and thanks to that, he was able to think outside the box and avoid putting limitations on himself. In a way, mathematics is about learning to have sense of freedom, like Professor June Huh. There is a rule that logic should make sense, but because of the rigidity of the rules, everything else is free. There is no set rule as to which object to study or how to understand and solve problems.

June Huh was awarded the Fields Medal, the highest honor in mathematics, becoming the first recipient of Korean descent at the 2022 International Congress of Mathematicians.

His commencement speech delivered on August 29 during the commencement ceremony touched many people’s hearts.

Professor June Huh: That’s right. When you try various methods and combinations to solve a problem within such freedom, your brain experiences a “random connection.” It is surprising when you recognize facts through decisive connections and you realize that you already know something. I believe that not only answers to challenging questions but also fundamental world progress take place without our recognition, just like the process of solving math problems. In addition, for that process to take place naturally, there should be many breaks in our daily lives. Here, breaks are not for playing but taking a good rest. It is akin to letting yourself try many different things in areas without recognizing it. If you sit at your desk and grab a pencil after you get a decisive idea, it is not too late. Conscious movements for immersion may be necessary, but it is also important to have huge breaks to the extent that you do not recognize that you do not know and to freely explore within.

My friend, mentor, and partner

Nayoung Kim: I first met Professor June Huh during my master’s program in mathematics. We had a really good relationship, and we took classes, ate, and did our assignments together, spending the entire day together from the morning until the evening. There were many instances where we exchanged opinions, since everyone had different specializations. Looking back, I always thought Mr. June Huh would accomplish something, so I was not too surprised by the news of my husband winning the Fields Medal. In particular, during his study in the US, when I saw Mr. Huh solve Read’s conjecture, which even those who had studied it for a long time could not solve, I thought he was a really amazing person as a fellow mathematician.

Professor June Huh: I’m hearing a lot of compliments that I don’t usually get to hear from my wife today (laughs). During my master’s, when I met Nayoung Kim, I felt “a sense of belonging” for the first time. I met great people and mentors, and in particular, it was a turning point in my life, as I met my wife and was able to establish a family. I am thankful that my wife understands my work well and helps me.

Nayoung Kim: As a mathematician myself, I am well aware of how hard it is to study math as an academic. Just like with math problems, where we can achieve a better result by working together instead of alone, I hope that we two continue living as best friends and mentors going forward.

Professor June Huh: My wife sees my potential, recognizes my value, and helps to bring out the best in me, and I try to be like her. When I have interviews, I am often asked to provide advice to youths, which is really hard to do because my advice could be right or wrong depending on their perspectives. I delivered the commencement speech at the commencement ceremony in August taking such concerns into consideration. As I have done so far, I will persevere in my work as a mathematician and researcher. 

June Huh
Professor at Princeton University
|
Education
2007 Seoul National University, Bachelor of Science in Physics & Astronomy, Mathematics
2009 Seoul National University, Master’s in Mathematical Sciences
2014 University of Michigan, PhD in Mathematics

Nayoung Kim
Former researcher at the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton University
|
Education
2007 University of Seoul, Bachelor of Mathematics
2009 Seoul National University, Master’s in Mathematical Sciences
2014 Seoul National University, PhD in Mathematical Sciences